This 12-Hour workshop (split over 3 days) is designed for anyone interested in learning how to use the Big Book as a tool for long-term recovery! Participants will be provided with an understanding where in the Big Book the 12-Steps are described, the specific directions provided for taking each Step, and the timing for taking each Step. In addition, important concepts in the Big Book and the AA spiritual program of recovery will be reviewed, including:
- The Six Lessons of the Big Book
- The Three Themes of the Big Book
- The Disease Concept of Alcoholism
- The Concept of “Recovered” vs. “Recovering”
- The Promises and Warnings of the Big Book
The purpose of this workshop is to help those interested in THE 12-Step Spiritual Program of Recovery to decipher the PRESCRIBED course of action, which promises we will cease fighting anything or anyone – even alcohol! It is excellent for sponsors and sponsees, those who are re-entering a 12-step fellowship after a lapse, individuals who would like to become effective sponsors, AODA professionals, Clergy, or families and loved ones of those attempting to initiate or maintain their own recoveries.
The program is interactive and offers time to process and discuss the information shared during the lecture components of the program.
Bill Smith, MA, CSAC, CIP is the author and presenter of Spiritual Remedy, which was developed over a 3-year period beginning in 2007. As a part of his work with clients placed in Sober Housing after addiction treatment, Bill observed while most were attending 12-Step meetings, the quality of individual recovery varied greatly. After an analysis of several groups, Mr. Smith determined that the most common factor was the accuracy of transmission of the 12-Step Spiritual Program of Action. After taking more than 500 persons through the Spiritual Remedy program, the workshop has been refined in more recent years and demonstrated success for participants.
Mr. Smith is the President and Managing Member of HJF Recovery Services LLC, which provides a variety of alcohol and other drug (AODA) recovery-related services for organizations in the greater mid-west. These include profitability assessments and operations consulting for AODA clinics, forensic AODA assessments, research and program development, and sales & marketing services.
Bill is also an Instructor at North Park University, where he teaches masters level courses in addiction counseling and research methods. He earned his Masters in Addiction Counseling from the Hazelden Graduate School of Addiction Studies and is a licensed Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC) and a Certified Intervention Professional (CIP).
- 12 hours of classroom-style instruction.
- The Spiritual Remedy Participant Workbook, which contains a summary of all materials and references used in the workshop.
- A copy of the Study Edition of Alcoholics Anonymous, published by the Anonymous Press. The features of this version of the Big Book include the Original Manuscript, personal stories from the 1st Edition, a 1937 dictionary, and a word and subject index. The book is also indexed (including the Original Manuscript) with Page: Paragraph denotations (i.e. 76:2).
- Also included is a light supper for the Friday session, continental breakfast and lunch for the Saturday session. Snacks and refreshments will also be provided throughout the workshop.
- Friday, October 11, 2019 – 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm, Steps 1 – 3 Inform
- Saturday, October 12, 2019 – 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, Steps 4 – 9 Transform
- Sunday, October 13, 2019 – 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm, Steps 10 – 12 New Norms
House of Prayer Lutheran Church’s North Meeting Room, 3900 W Ryan Road, Franklin, WI 53132
Harley Rokenbrodt: email@example.com or (414) 687-6942
- $75.00 in advance; $85.00 at the door.
- Seating is limited, so register now to reserve your place at the table!
- Scholarships are available.
Spiritual Remedy, nor its publications, has not been approved, authorized, or endorsed by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services (AAWS), Inc. While the presenters of this material are Friends of Bill W., this workshop, and HJF Recovery Services LLC, are not affiliated with AAWS, or The Anonymous Press, in any way.